These fluffy rolls in fun Christmas shapes might be a little extra, but they are a fun addition to your Christmas breakfast. Make the dough the evening before and let it prove over night, the next morning you just cut them out, let them prove for another 30 minutes in a warm place and bake them. Once you need energy from tearing through all your presents you have these fresh breakfast rolls to start your day off right. By exchanging butter with margarine and milk with almond milk you can make them vegan and they taste just the same.
So, I am not really in the Christmas spirit this year although I have clearly tried. I baked cookies and made these holiday breakfast rolls. I even wrote a post about Christmas movies over on my blog Pop Culture in Review to get into the spirit, maybe you want to check these recommendations out (here). I think I am just destined to be a Scrooge this year. I haven’t even thought about what to make for dessert yet, so any suggestions would be very welcome. Hopefully you are in better spirits and excited to stuff your faces with holiday treats, watch Christmas movies and open presents. Do you have any unusual traditions I could give a try to get into a more festive mood? I wish you the happiest of holidays whatever you celebrate and wherever you are.
Holiday-Shaped Breakfast Rolls
500 gr All-purpose flour
1 Packet dry active yeast
75 gr Sugar
50 gr Butter (alternative: vegetable Margarine)
300 ml Milk (alternative: almond milk)
7 gr Salt
a splash of milk (almond milk) to wash the dough before baking
1. Knead all the ingredients into a smooth dough. Keep kneading it for at least 10 minutes. I did that with the bread machine, but feel free to use dough hooks on a hand whisk.
2. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
3. Roll the dough out about 1.5 cm thickness and cut out the desired shapes.
4. Place the shapes on a lined and baking sheet and leave it to proof until it has doubled in size.
5. Preheat the oven to 180 °C top and bottom heating.
6. Wash the proven dough with some milk to give it some shine.
7. Bake until golden brown between 10 and 15 minutes.
8. Leave them to cool down and enjoy.