I really thought that I’ve had enough after all that baking for St. Nicholas Day. I put all my different cookies on a pretty plate and filled some in bags to give away. Suddenly there weren’t that many left. I should have bought smaller bags. Therefore I needed a little something to fill the space. These are very simple and extremely delicious. They also look great.
To make these Chocolate Mountains you do not need very much. Some cornflakes (branflakes work too, but they will be harder) and chocolate. I added some almond slivers and white chocolate as decoration, but that is really optional. You could possibly add mini marshmallows or peanut butter chips (you can’t buy them where I live). You can buy something very similar here, but they are really overpriced.
They also make a lovely last minute gift, as you can make them in under one hour. What else can you make and wrap in under one hour? The following recipe will give you about one baking sheet of chocolate mountains. Choose whatever chocolate you like best, or make several different kinds. It is really up to you. Though I would not suggest making too many and keeping them at home, as they won’t keep well around people, if you catch my drift.
Chocolate Mountains (Chocolate Mountains pdf download)
200 gr Chocolate (milk, white or dark chocolate)
1 cup Cornflakes
50 gr Chocolate slivers
50 gr Mini marshmallows
50 gr Peanut butter chips
- Chop the chocolate or just break it apart.
- Temper* the chocolate in the microwave.
- When the chocolate is melted add the cornflakes and optional add ins and give everything a stir. Make sure everything is coated on chocolate.
- Use two teaspoons to drop little mountains on a parchment paper.
- Leave them to harden on the counter.
- Optionally decorate them with some tempered white chocolate and leave that to harden as well.
- Chop the chocolate and put it into a microwaveable bowl.
- On medium heat microwave for twenty seconds, take it out and stir the chocolate.
- Put the chocolate back in the microwave for ten seconds, take it out and stir the chocolate.
- Repeat step three until the chocolate is melted smooth. I don’t have a thermometer and this method has always worked for me.
Hopefully you will try making some these cookies or just the Chocolate Mountains because they taste amazing. How do you celebrate St. Nicholas Day? Do you bake something special? Do you have any special traditions? I’ve now added pdf files of all the other St. Nicholas Day recipes.